Friday, May 15, 2009

Beef and Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce

Satay is, traditionally, a dish of diced or sliced meats that is skewered and grilled or barbecued. It's largely popular in Southeast Asia where you will find it as "street food" (like a New York hot dog or a cheesesteak in Philly).

I like to make satay for a couple of reasons.

  1. It's quite easy. Slice meat, marinate, skewer & grill (or broil)
  2. It's food on a stick- what's not to like?
  3. Peanut sauce. My kids will tell you that everything is better with "dippies".
  4. I can make these on the grill, in the oven (on broil) or on the stove-top in a grill pan.
I have two recipes, one for beef, one for chicken; both from Everyday Food. I'll publish them both in full and then tell you how I combined them to make a recipe I really love.

Beef and Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce


Chicken Satay Skewers
* 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), thinly sliced lengthwise into 12 strips
* 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
* 1 teaspoon soy sauce
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
* Vegetable oil, for pan

Directions

1. In a bowl, toss chicken with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, and teaspoon red-pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Thread each chicken strip lengthwise onto a skewer.
2. Make dipping sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, and 2 to 3 tablespoons water.
3. Heat grill pan over high. Working in batches, brush pan with oil, and cook chicken until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve chicken skewers with dipping sauce.

Beef Satay with peanut sauce
1 lb flank steak thinly sliced across the grain
1 T veg. oil such as safflower
1 t coriander
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
2 T light-brown sugar
1 T soy sauce
2 T lime juice

Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
On sheet toss stead with oil and coriander season with salt and pepper. Dividing evenly, thread beef strips onto skewers. Arrange on the sheet and set aside

Broil skewers of meat without turning 2-5 minutes.

In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, 2 T lime juice and 1/4 C water. Serve beef skewers with peanut dipping sauce.

My version

I thought the beef was a bit bland so I used the chicken marinade for both meats. Instead of skewering right away, though, I let them both marinate for 30 minutes or so. This gave the meat a flavor of its own.

Then skewer. (Remember that if you are using wooden skewers to soak them at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.)

I know the beef recipe says not to turn the meat. I recommend turning the meat- I've done these in a broiler and on the grill. It just works best for me to turn the meat.

The peanut sauce: I prefer chunky peanut butter, but it's really personal preference. I basically used all the ingredients, together, to make a great dip: brown sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, rice wine vinegar & red pepper flakes. I whipped it up in my Magic Bullet (seriously, one of the best kitchen tools I own) and add water until I like the consistency (again, a personal preference).

These are always popular in my house and are great for entertaining and backyard barbecues!

2 comments:

Chris

The recipes sound fabulous. I agree with turning the meat while cooking. Smooth peanut butter fan here, though. I'm thinking too that a seasoned rice vinegar might add some nice flavor.

Jody

Ooohh, seasoned rice vinegar would be good!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a