Friday, February 29, 2008

Irish Brown Bread

As we prepare to leave for Ireland (my third trip) my mouth is watering just thinking about the brown bread. Yummy.

I found a recipe online that is as close as I can get using what I can find at the local grocery. You may have to go to the organic section for the wheat germ and the wheat bran. You'll probably have to toast them yourself, as well. Don't worry- it's very easy to do.


Irish Brown Bread


Fab Food Friday 082


1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
3 T toasted what bran
3 T toasted wheat germ
2 T old fashioned oats
2 T packed dark brown sugar
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T (1/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter,cut into pieces
2 c buttermilk**

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter a 9x5x3 loaf pan.

combine first 8 ingredients (through the salt) in a large bowl; mix well. Add butter peices; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles a fine meal. Stir in enough buttermilk to form a soft dough.

Transfer to prepared loaf pan.

Bake until bread is dark brown and tester inserted in center comes out clean- about 40 minutes. Cool out of pan, right side up on rack.

**I don't have many recipes that call for buttermilk and I hate to have things go to waste, so I purchase this powdered cultured buttermilk blend instead of the real thing. You can find it in the baking aisle at most supermarkets.

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a