Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shrimp Scampi Pasta

Today’s recipe is brought to you in honor of the Great American Seafood Cook off. The governor of Louisiana (a great state for fresh sustainable seafood) issued the challenge and one state and one chef will walk away with the title. All the action takes place in New Orleans and tickets are only $10.

Event sponsor and NOAA Fisheries Director Bill Hogarth commented, “I strongly believe that American seafood is, by far, the finest. Our marine fisheries management system is as unique as our nation and it works. If American seafood is on the market, you can be sure that it is being managed in a sustainable manner.”

I have to admit that fish or seafood of any kind don’t make it into my menu plans often. I really prefer to work with fresh ingredients and here in Iowa seafood is expensive if it’s fresh. But I do like knowing where the seafood I purchase comes from and that it’s being managed so fish aren’t “fished out”, if you know what I mean.

Once in a while I will splurge on shrimp. It doesn’t get too “fishy” and it’s really difficult to screw it up. A super easy recipe my family enjoys is this Shrimp Scampi Pasta. I tore it out of a magazine a couple of years ago and we probably have it every couple of months.

This will only take about 20 minutes if you work on the sauce while your pasta water boils and your pasta cooks.

Fab Food Friday 119

1 T olive oil
1 medium onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14oz) chicken broth, divided
3 T flour
1 lb peeled, deveined shrimp (I get the small shrimp as they are easier for the girls but the presentation is better if you get the larger ones)
1 T lemon juice
2 T butter
1 T chopped parsley
12 oz linguine
Red pepper flakes (optional)

In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, cover & cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Pour one cup of broth and flour into a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake to blend. Pour remaining broth and broth flour mixture into saucepan; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook 3 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice, butter and parsley. Add red pepper flakes if desired. Pour over cooked pasta.

**If you want to make this recipe a bit more of an Alfredo add some grated parmesan to the sauce.

Do you have any delicious seafood recipes for me to try?

4 comments:

Unknown

i've tried it and tasted bad

Jody

Carol- I would have emailed you directly but your profile is unavailable and you didn't include an email address...

I've had people email me and say this was really good. I wonder if either your shrimp was bad or you possibly overcooked this, because we have this often and my kids devour it.

Jacquie & Linda

I made this tonight, cutting the recipe in half and adding a little white wine. It was YUMMY! I don't usually add flour to my Scampi Sauce and we really liked the consistency.

When I cooked the pasta I added a little lemon flavored olive oil and tossed it so it wouldn't clump together until I served it all. My husband loved and I will definitely do it again!

Jacquie

Ok, so I'm new to posting comments on blogs. My comment stands and I'm trying this again.

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a