Friday, August 29, 2008

Baked French Toast with Raspberry Sauce

I absolutely love French toast. Love, love, love it.

Another thing I love are dishes I can make the night before and refrigerate.

So when I saw this recipe in Everyday Food I knew I would love it. It's easy to mix up and makes a great Sunday brunch or holiday breakfast. Or a satisifying dinner (because it's always special to have breakfast food at dinner time)!

Fab Food Friday 115

Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 thick slices challah, brioche, or other egg bread (1 inch thick) (I used a large loaf of Italian bread. I had more than 4 slices and the recipe made enough for all slices.)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 bag (10 to 12 ounces) frozen raspberries (or strawberries), thawed

Directions
In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt.

Arrange bread in dish in a single layer; let soak 15 minutes. Turn bread over; cover, and refrigerate until most of the liquid is absorbed, at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with butter. (I use parchemnt paper.) With a spatula, carefully transfer soaked bread to sheet. Bake until French toast is set in center and lightly browned on the bottom, 25 to 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine raspberries and remaining 1/4 cup sugar, mashing lightly with a fork.

Remove French toast from baking sheet with a thin metal spatula; serve with raspberry sauce.

You can use so many different berries for the sauce. Experiment and enjoy!

3 comments:

Paula Reece

This looks fabulous! I LOVE French Toast too! Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day!

Kyle Lobner

Making it with cherries tomorrow morning. Thanks so much for the idea. :)

Lisa

I just found your blog after you mentioned FFF in the comments at Boogers and Burps--so, I hurried on over here to check it out! I'll be sure to check back often! Lots of yummy recipes to try now that I found you! I'm going to try the Shrimp Scampi, the Sausage Rigatoni, the Beef Tostadas and the Herbed Chicken in Pastry. These all sound like something my whole family will enjoy! Thanks for sharing!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a