Friday, September 26, 2008

Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole

While I like a good mashed potato they are just always "there", you know? Something that you cover with gravy or stuffing to eat. These potatoes, layered with Gouda and then baked, are phenomenal all on their own- no gravy needed!

And the best thing? You can make these a day ahead and refrigerate them until they need to be baked! Perfect for family gatherings!

Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole


Ingredients

* 3 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
* 1 cup whole milk
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 6 slices bacon, thick sliced, diced
* salt
* 2 cups Gouda cheese, shredded, divided (If you can't find Gouda you can use a sharp cheddar)
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Boil potatoes in salted water in large pot over high heat until tender, 12 minutes.

Drain, return potatoes to the pot, and dry over medium heat for 1 minute.

Turn off heat, add milk, sour cream, and butter; mash until smooth, cover, and set aside.

Saute bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.

Drain on a paper-towel lined plate, then stir into mashed potatoes; season with salt.

Assemble casserole, spreading half the potatoes in a 2 quart casserole dish.

Top with 1 cup of gouda, spread with remaining potatoes, then top with remaining cheese.

(At this point you can put these in the refrigerator and bake them the next day)

Bake until golden, 30 minutes.

Garnish with chives.

5 comments:

Sally

oh my gosh...i must try this!! sounds so good!

Overwhelmed!

Okay, this potato casserole sounds fantastic, especially since you can make it ahead of time. Lovely!

Thanks for participating in my 3rd annual Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange! I do appreciate it.

Feel free to join me Fridays for my “Favorite Ingredients Friday” recipe exchange!

Lynn

Oh my, does this sound delicious. I'm drooling just reading it. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Sally

We had this for dinner tonight...oh my gosh...just as yummy as I expected. I know you said you could sub cheddar for the gouda, but the smoky gouda was SOOOO good! In fact, I'm so stuffed that there's no way I'm working out tonight like I thought I would -- even though I def need it now!! =)

Anonymous

I made this for a large family Christmas Eve dinner and I *mean* to tell you, it was all the rage. I'm making it for dinner again tonight.

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a