Friday, April 3, 2009

The Fluffiest Pancakes I've Ever Made

I love pancakes. Love, love, love them. But I have never been able to make a pancake that I think is better than I can get out of a box (gasp!). I know... But it's true. I've never found the perfect pancake recipe.

Well, I can't really say never because I found a recipe in Family Circle that made the fluffiest pancakes I have ever had. And I can honestly say that I won't be making pancakes from a box again.

A little note about these *fluffy pieces of breakfasting heaven... The batter is very thick. After I poured into the pan I spread the batter out with the back of my ladle. Keep the pancakes on the small side for best results. You may be tempted to not whip the egg whites. Yes, I know it adds a couple of minutes; this is what makes the pancakes so fluffy. For a little added fun **make faces in your pancakes.

Fluffy Pancakes


Ingredients

* 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice (optional, I didn't use it)
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* Butter, maple or pancake syrup, confectioners' sugar, for serving

Directions

1. Heat a griddle or large pan to medium heat. Heat oven to warm (180°F) and place a foil-lined baking sheet inside. Only do this if you plan for everyone to eat together. In my house I serve the pancakes straight from the griddle.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and allspice. Separate eggs and whisk egg yolks in small bowl with milk and oil.

3. With an electric mixer, beat egg whites to stiff peaks, about 1 minute. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Fold in egg whites in two additions, until no white streaks remain.

4. Using a ladle, drop 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter onto heated griddle. Repeat, spacing at least 1 inch apart. Cook 1 minute, or until bubbles in batter pop and remain open. Carefully flip pancakes and cook an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.

5. Transfer to baking sheet in warm oven; repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with butter and syrup or confectioners' sugar, if desired.

* I'm not sure you can really appreciate just how fluffy these pancakes are. Even with this photo attached.

** if you're interested in "making faces" with your pancakes... Spoon the "face" onto your hot skillet. Let it cook 30 seconds or so, until the edges begin to get golden. Pour more batter over the face. Cook as directed.

*** If you like berries in your pancakes drop them on the pancake just before you flip it.

2 comments:

Unknown

We love pancakes and yes, we make them out of the box. . .sigh. I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous

What a cute, happy pancake ^.^

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a