Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gnocchi with Spinach and Ricotta

While pasta is always an easy meal I love to "mix it up" once in a while and make gnocchi. This potato dumpling, which means lumps, has been on Italian tables since Roman times.

I haven't attempted to make my own gnocchi yet but I've found some good varieties at Target and my local grocery. Just a tip- don't buy it dried. It will be in the dried pasta section but buy the kind that looks soft. It may also be in the refrigerated section.

This recipe is gooey and creamy. Mmmm... And no whining about the spinach! The recipe comes from ParentsConnect.

Gnocchi with Spinach and Ricotta


* 1 (1-pound) package potato gnocchi
* 1 cup fat-free half-and-half (ok, I don't buy this. I use skim milk. It makes a runnier sauce. I use 3/4 c and increase the flour by 1tsp.)
* 1 teaspoon flour
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ½ teaspoon pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1 (10-ounce) bag prewashed baby spinach leaves
* ½ cup nonfat ricotta cheese
* 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Preheat the broiler and move top oven rack 4 to 6 inches from heat.

In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the gnocchi according to package directions (gnocchi will float to surface when done). Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, combine the half-and-half, flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg, stirring well to mix with a wire whisk. Bring mixture to a boil. Continue to boil for 2 minutes, whisking frequently. (I don't have an oven-proof skillet. I cook it in a saucepan or regular skillet and transfer it to a casserole dish coated with cooking spray.)

Add spinach in handfuls and cook, stirring frequently until wilted, about 2 to 4 minutes.

Remove from heat, then add gnocchi, stirring to mix well.

Spoon ricotta over gnocchi in five large dollops (I add multiple smaller dollops) and sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil until cheese is lightly browned and bubbling around edges, about 3 minutes.

2 comments:

Laine

I planned on making this tonight... and couldn't find gnocci.. so I thought I would look somewhere else and make it tomorrow night... no such luck! AMES HATES GNOCCI!.. but I like it.. so I need to find it, please tell me where you purchased your gnocci!

Laine

After looking at Hyvee.. I found Pierogies.. so I tried that and it turned out good! Not like Gnocchi (I can spell it right) though, but I will try again in the near future since it was Great!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a