Friday, October 10, 2008

Double Chocolate Tiramisu

I'm sure it's some sort of sin to go into an Italian restaurant and not finish a delicious meal with tiramisu. But I don't like coffee and, regardless of what people say, I can taste it. And it ruins the dessert for me. So when I saw this recipe in my latest issue of Everyday Food I knew I had to try it. Because, instead of using espresso you soak the ladyfingers in cocoa.

The kids inhaled this... The super creamy pudding was delicious. And it was very easy to make.

Double Chocolate Tiramisu


Serves 10
Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for garnish
* 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
* 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
* 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 24 ladyfinger cookies (from a 7-ounce package... Really, make sure they are bigger ladyfingers as the ones I got were in a 3 oz package and were too small)

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix cocoa powder with 1 1/2 cups very hot water until dissolved; set cocoa mixture aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, place 1/4 cup cream and chocolate; microwave in 1-minute increments, and stir until melted. Cool to room temperature.
2. Transfer cooled chocolate mixture to a mixing bowl; add cream cheese and sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat until blended. Add remaining cream; beat chocolate filling until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
3. Spread 1 cup chocolate filling in the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish. One at a time, dip 6 ladyfingers (quickly!!) in cocoa mixture, then arrange in a single layer in dish; spread with 1 cup chocolate filling. Repeat with three more layers, ending with filling.
4. Cover tiramisu, and refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to 2 days). Dust with cocoa powder before serving.

Note: I only chilled this for about 3 hours. I will suggest more... Like a day. Just to really let the creaminess of the pudding and the moistness of the ladyfingers really blend together.

2 comments:

Kyle Lobner

Finally, someone else like me. I love chocolate but HATE coffee, and I can plainly taste it in things. I just printed off the recipe.

Anonymous

Jody,
I found your blog bc I work at Everyday Food and like to see what the dialogue is out there about it (aka, I get a google alert about Everyday Food :) ) I always invite people to stop by our blog and share thoughts/opinions/questions for our editors. We want to interact, and so far, our blog has been our best way to do that.
But what really made me have to leave a comment is that your profile says you are from Iowa. I am too! And I am a little obsessive about the state, so I wanted to say hi, and I hope you are enjoying a beautiful autumn in the best place in the world!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a