Thursday, July 30, 2009

Basic Quiche

I'm a huge fan of quiche. It's one of the most versatile meals I make. It works for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner... Another plus is that you can add veggies or meat to it easily. And my girls love quiche- we call it "cheese pie". Two of the greatest things in the world: cheese & pie. And the leftovers re-heat really well. I love when we have quiche for dinner because it means left-over quiche for breakfast!

Another reason I love this recipe is that it's a great "make & take" if you're taking a meal to someone who just had a baby, has a sick child, etc. Quiche, a bagged salad and some cookies and you've got a meal.

This is my favorite quiche recipe. It uses Gruyère, which is a bit spendy, but you can use Swiss, Emmental or Mont Saint-Benoît.

I pulled this recipe out of a magazine years ago; I'm not sure which one.

Basic Quiche


1 T olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, diced (not being an onion person I use dried, chopped onions, about 2-3 T)
3/4 t kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper
1 c fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
4 eggs
3/4 c half & half (I mostly use skim milk; it's what I have on hand and it works)
8 oz Gruyère, grated
1/8 t ground nutmeg
1 store bought frozen deep dish pie crust, or you favorite homemade crust

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, over medium low heat, heat the oil. Add the onions, 1/2 t of the salt and 1/4 t of the pepper. Cover and cook until the onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. (Skip this step if you aren't using fresh onions.) Add the parsley and cook, covered, for 2 more minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and half & half or milk. Stir in cheese, nutmeg, the remaining salt & pepper and the onion mixture. Place the piecrust on a foil lined baking sheet. Scrape the egg mixture into piecrust- it will be full. Bake until the filling is set and an inserted knife comes out clean; about 40 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

Technically this makes 4 servings. Serve with a salad.

If you want to add ham or browned sausage add it to the egg mixture after you add the cheese.

1 comments:

Laine

yum.. made this today for lunch.. babies loved it. I loved it. my kids.... picky!

I added ham and spinach, used Swiss cheese & 1/4 cup colby jack and increased the milk 1/4 cup, turned out very good!

Will be doing this again!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a