Friday, July 24, 2009

Biscuits & Sausage Gravy

One of my favorite comfort foods is biscuits and gravy. Of course I can't make them often... I suppose that's why they are called "comfort foods". But I plan to make them this weekend so I wanted to share the recipe I've found that is easy to make and very tasty. I found it on my Dinner Spinner (a great free iPod Touch/ iPhone app) from AllRecipes.

I made the biscuits using this recipe for Herbed Biscuits; just leave out the herbs.

Biscuits & Gravy


INGREDIENTS
this recipe makes 4 servings

* 1 pound ground pork sausage
* 2 tablespoons margarine (I omitted this as sausage is plenty fatty)
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 4 cups milk (add slowly until gravy reaches desired thickness)
* salt and pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the sausage for 10 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the margarine until well blended, then stir in the flour until mixture is thick and pasty.
2. Reduce heat to medium low and slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly and to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

McVal

I LOVE biscuits and gravy! Whenever I order it at a restaurant tho, I have to have ketchup with it. It's my family thing... It embarrasses my husband to no end. So he will ask for ketchup for his hashbrowns so the waitress won't think they're for my biscuits and gravy.
And you're right. Comfort food at it's best!!

Laine

I made this last night and it was good! Michael LOVED it! I have never had it before and thought that sausage and milk sounded weird.. but I was wrong! I did cheat and bought the pillsbury buttermilk biscuits that you bake. and since I wasn't sure for a side we had a bunch of fresh strawberries with it! YUM!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a