Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to Eat Cheap in College

OK, I'm gonna admit that I know absolutely nothing about going away to college. I lived at home while completing my cosmetology degree. But what I do know about is being poor and saving money on food.

First, the staple for any young broke adult: Ramen Noodles. I know, I know. Oss out the flavor packets and try a little mix of soy sauce, peanut butter and rice wine you have a nice peanut sauce. Toss in some chicken and it’s actually quite good. Or try adding a bit of olive oil, pepper, parmeasan and broccoli.

Next: cereal. Buy the store brand. It’s usually the same as the name brand, just different packaging. And it's cheaper in a bag.

Thinking pizza? Forget the frozen & don’t order take-out. Get some whole pitas or English muffins (both can be used with the peanut butter I mentioned earlier), some tomato paste, dried Oregano, toppings and cheese. Voila! Personal pizzas!

Fruits & veggies: if you have the storage buy canned or frozen. Fresh costs more and is more likely to go bad if you forget about it.

Of course there are a few things you may need beyond food. Like a mini-fridge, a microwave and a toaster oven. Of course you want to make sure your roommate doesn’t have them, too. Sears CampusReady can help with that. It’s a reloadable Sears gift card. The cards come in pairs- one for the student, one for the parent. The cards must be purchased in store but can be refilled online. It’s a great way to get the things you need and stay within your budget.

Sears also has CampusReady on Facebook, a great app to help you let people know what you need, design your room and get to know your roommate. It’s a fun and easy app to use. I played around with it for a while- and I’m not even going to college!


Post?slot_id=42559&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a