Friday, April 18, 2008

Tool Box Cake

OK, so I'm no Ace of Cakes but I can do a decent job of constructing something fun.

It's my brother Jarod's 33rd birthday. And since what he wants we can't buy for him (some special tool that linemen use)he is getting money. So we wanted to package it in a fun way. So it's in the cake. Sure hope he doesn't cut it in half!



Tool Box Cake

Fab Food Friday 095

So, here's what you need:
1 box cake mix (whatever kind you want)
1 can white frosting (I used cream cheese... Yum!)
1 Wilton's (or other brand) concentrated food coloring gel paste
* You must use a concentrated gel paste to get a red color. I used an entire bottle of food coloring drops and had a lovely (and very manly) dark salmon color.
1 chocolate donut (regular size) for the handle
*Yes, you will have to buy an entire box of donuts. It's a hardship, I know.
3 toothpicks
Plastic tools (or fishing lures or whatever else you might put in a box like this)

Begin by baking the cake in two large (I think they are 7-8 inches long) loaf pans. Fill one with about 2/3 of the cake mix and the other with 1/3. Bake according to directions. Let cool in pan 10-15 minutes before removing.
Cakes baked in loaf pans


After removing from pan let cool completely and refrigerate while you mix the frosting color.

Remove the "bottom" of your cake from the refrigerator (it's the bigger one). Because the tools were pretty big I cut out a bit from the center of the cake for the handles. This is also where I hid the money (in a plastic baggie). Now apply a thin layer of frosting to the cake. This is your crumb layer. It doesn't have to be pretty or even. Just a thin layer all over.

Put the bottom back in the refirgerator and remove the top. To give the top more sloped edges I cut the four corners off at an angle and also shaved the squared edges off between the corners. Do a crumb layer of frosting on this piece, too, and refrigerate.

Now take out the bottom again and frost it like you normally would. Place the tools that will be "in" the box where you want them. Use your toothpicks at the rear of the cake to hold the lid in place, just put them in upright and gently set the lid on top the the toothpicks and tools.

Carefully frost the cake - be sure to apply liberally to the back to mask the seam- and arrange any other tools to mask any imperfections you may have. Cut a donut in half and put on top.

Serve and let people ooh and aah over your creation.

4 comments:

Tamara B

you never cease to amaze me. can I celebrate my next birthday at your house?

For those of us non-kitchen types, what is a crumb layer?

The Fritz Facts

I love it! This puts my lego cake to shame (hangs head) and I might have to make a tackle box for the hubby's birthday...

Isn't a crumb layer the one that covers the crumbs after the cake is cut? It works fabulously, we found that out with the lego cakes.

Jody

A crumb layer is a thin layer of frosting that catches those pesky crumbs that seem to ruin the frosting. If you do a thin layer of frosting on the cake and chill it then frost again you will get a smooth, non-crumby layer of frosting.

Unknown

Great cake! I am going to make one tomorrow for my husband's 30th b-day!Thanks!
-Becky

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a