Friday, May 2, 2008

Vegetable Enchiladas

I usually balk at taking a nice, meaty dish and making it vegetarian. This, however, is wonderful. The meat is replaced with black beans, corn and spinach and the cheese is a spicy pepper jack. So yummy. From Everyday Food magazine.

I love this recipe because it's really easy and you make 2 batches at once- one for tonight and one for later (it can be frozen for up to 2 months).

Vegetable Enchiladas

Fab Food Friday 098


2 T olive oil + more for dishes
2 t ground cumin
1/4 c allpurpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 c tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz) reduced sodium vegetable broth (I had chicken broth in my pantry & it was fine)
course salt & ground pepper
3 c grated pepper jack cheese (12 oz)
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 box (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 box (10 oz) forzen corn kernels, thawed
6 scallions, thinly sliced, white & green parts separated (I skipped this)
16 corn tortillas (6 inch)

Make sauce: in a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium (I skipped the oil). Add 1 t cumin, flour and tomato paste. Cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in broth and 3/4 c water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt & pepper; set aside.

Make filling: In large bowl combine 2 c cheese, beans, spinach, corn, scallion whites and remaining 1 t cumin; season with salt & pepper.

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly oil 2(two) 8x8 baking dishes (I used Reynolds non stick foil); sett aside. Stack tortillas and wrap in damp paper towels; microwave on high for 1 minute. Top each tortilla with 1/3 c filling, roll tightly and arrange, seam side down, in prepared baking dishes.

To cook now: dividing evenly sprinkle enchiladas with remaining cheese and top with sauce. Bake, uncovered, until hot & bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Garnish with scallion greens (I used sour cream).

To freeze: Prepare enchiladas through step 3. Top with cheese and cover baking dishes with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Place sauce in airtight container. Freeze for up to 2 months.

To bake from frozen: Thaw sauce in refrigerator overnight (or microwave on high 2 minutes stirring once half way through). Preheat oven to 400. Remove foil & plastic wrap and pour souce over enchiladas. Replace foil. Bake 30 minutes, remove foil and bake until bubbly, about 15 minutes more. Cool 5 minutes before serving.

1 comments:

Marie

I am trying this recipe tonight... in fact, I'm doubling it -- half with beans, half with chicken, since I had some in the fridge to use. But I just goofed majorly, making the sauce.... I grabbed the ginger, which was next to the cumin in my spice cupboard. GAH. And I was being so organized getting the chopping/prep work done ahead of time!!!

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a