Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ruby Sippers

I've made these lovely drinks twice now. And they were a hit both times. You're just going to have to believe how pretty they are because, somehow, I misplaced the photos I downloaded. They are no where to be found.

So when I tell you that this creates a festive ruby beverage that will not only enhance your party but will bring you rave reviews you're going to have to trust me.

The recipe says it makes 6 cocktails but it made far more than that... Maybe my champagne glasses are small? I used fresh cranberries as they were in season. Recipe from Cuisine at Home magazine.

Ruby Sippers

1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1 cup sugar (if this is too much sugar for you it can be halved)
Juice and rind of 2 orange
Orange wedge, optional
Red sugar, optional
1 bottle chilled sparkling white wine (here's my frugal trick: I bought really inexpensive asti spumante- I don't like dry brut. If you are mixing stuff into "champagne" you can get away with using a less expensive bottle!)
whole cranberries

Pulse 1 1/2 cups cranberries, cranberry juice in a food processor until berries are coarsely chopped. Simmer in a saucepan over medium heat with sugar, and orange juice and rind until syrupy. about 10 minutes. Strain, then cool syrup to room temperature. If desired, rub rims of champagne flutes with orange wedge and dip in red sugar. Pour 1-2 Tbsp. syrup into glasses, then top with sparkling wine. Garnish cocktails with whole cranberries.


To make the glasses really sparkle rub the rims of your champagne flute with and orange wedge (I used a clementine) and dip in red sugar.

Note: leave this at room temperature, refrigerating it will turn it to jelly. That said, I froze the leftover syrup for a month and left it at room temperature to thaw before I used it again and it was fine.

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a