Friday, April 3, 2009

Bee Well and Raise Money

Because I love to cook it just makes sense that I love to eat what I cook. Which isn’t always the healthiest of foods. (Hey, they’re called comfort foods for a reason!) I do my best to even out my eating with activities, mostly walking as A) it’s easy, B) it’s free, C) my girls can come along and D) we’ve been “on vacation” and away from my elliptical machine.

Recently I heard that Bumble Bee Foods launched BeeWell Miles , a program that pays $0.15 for every mile logged into that site to help Breast Cancer Network of Strength provide emotional support to those who will, most likely, die of breast cancer.

I’m a big supporter of breast cancer issues; my grandmother was diagnosed late last year and had a radical mastectomy within a week of her diagnosis. She has been cancer free since then but you just never know when it may come back. That she was also the first in our family to be diagnosed with cancer, well that made the diagnosis just a bit scarier.

I received a pedometer the other day and wore it on one of our outings (we’re doing a lot of exploring while we’re in Massachusetts). We visited Battleship Cove and spent the better part of 4 hours exploring every nook and cranny of battleships and submarines. Can you believe I logged 10583 steps? That’s 5 ½ miles, which donated $0.90. That may not be a lot, but it will certainly add up as this program runs through October 31, 2009. Since we are really active in the summer I figure I can donate about $200- just for doing what I do anyway, walking.

Bonus Stuff

If you’re on a mission to lose some weight (aren’t we all) there are great features on the website, like seeing how your caloric input and output offset each other. Or log in your favorite walking route to get the mileage or share it with others. And if the benefit of donating to a great cause isn’t enough for you each time you log in miles you could automatically win one of 15,000 prizes.

Post?slot_id=35184&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

0 comments:

Blogger template 'Pinki' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP

ss_blog_claim=cc9e1d94f6274b95f747d51cccacf62a